5 Rules for Hosting a Crappy Dinner Party
If having friends over for dinner causes you great anxiety, have we got an idea for you!
In an article for The Kitchn, writer Kelley Powell is giving us permission to throw away our dinner party stress by hosting a Crappy Dinner Party.
Yes, that’s right, a Crappy Dinner Party.
When Kelley’s friend Laura moved away to a smaller community she discovered that people just showed up to each other’s houses, unannounced. “People feed each other whatever happens to be in their fridge that day. There’s no preparation, no stress–just pure enjoyment.”
Pure enjoyment! “Crappy dinner is all about placing the priority on what truly matters, and accepting life–and motherhood–for all of the beautiful, crappy things it throws your way,” says Kelley. “Tension is who you think you should be. Relaxation is who you are.”
Ready to throw your own Crappy Dinner Party? Here’s how:
- No housework is to be done prior to a guest’s arrival.
- The menu must be simple and not involve a special grocery shop.
- You must wear whatever you happen to have on.
- No hostess gifts allowed.
- You must act like you’re surprised when your friend and her family just happen to show up at your door (optional).
Click here to read Kelley’s entire piece–and let us know how your first Crappy Dinner Party goes!