Dr. Cathy’s Egg Bake Recipe
When I get into my healthy eating/cooking at home zone (next trick I need to learn is how to STAY in that zone, who resonates with that??), I am a huge fan of making egg bakes. One of my awesome patients brought me fresh eggs from her farm last week, so today was the perfect time to whip one up! I usually use what I have in the fridge for veggies, protein and cheese, but this combo is one of my favorites! I tend to get a little overly proud of myself for making it (lame, I know.), post it on social media (unfriend me if you need to!) and then get lots of people asking for the recipe, so here goes….
12 oz ground turkey
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1/2 container mushrooms, sliced
4 cups spinach, fresh
1/2 cup shredded cheese of your choice
1/8 C Half & Half
Oil to cook veggies in
Salt/pepper to taste
I do my best to use organic options when I can!
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cook ground turkey in large stove top pan. Put into large mixing bowl when done.
3. In same pan, add a little bit of oil (I used avocado oil today) and saute up the onions until they are half tender, throw in mushrooms and cook until they are half tender and then throw in the spinach at the end. Add this mixture into the turkey, mix and salt/pepper to taste.
4. Crack 8 eggs into a bowl, add Half & Half and salt/pepper to taste. Beat until mixed.
5. Grease glass pie pan and add turkey/veggie mix to fill a layer at the bottom. I usually save some of this mixture to eat as a snack or add to my mashed cauliflower dish (YUM, btw!)
6. Pour egg mixture over the top of the turkey, it should cover the turkey mixture. Sprinkle cheese on top.
7. Bake on the middle rack at 350 for 25 – 35 minutes depending on the pan and your oven. I always check it at the 25 min mark and take it out if it is already done!
8. Let cool a little bit, slice and enjoy!
One of the things I love about this is that it makes for a super-easy, grab and go breakfast, lunch, dinner or even a snack!